I have practised law in NSW and Queensland since 1976 (36 years). I was accredited as a family law specialist in the mid-1990s. I am a former principal of the firm now known as “O’Reilly & Sochacki lawyers” of Murwillumbah, in far northern NSW.
I practice principally in family law however, as an experienced country practitioner, I have a broad range of experiences.
Apart from family law, I have substantial experience in:
- Wills & Estates;
- The law and practice around powers of attorney, guardianship appointments, as well as advance health directives;
I’m a trained collaborative lawyer (2011). Collaborative law is an interesting and effective way of negotiating a fair settlement in any dispute but, it is especially amenable for use in family law disputes, be they children’s or property matters.
I work principally in Queensland and NSW. I have matters in Sydney, Brisbane and for North Queensland, as well is locally in the Gold Coast/Tweed Coast area, where I live.
I also work as a locum tenens, for other legal firms, principally in family law, working as far as Cairns in FNQ.
Nothing beats experience.
Professional Qualifications/ Professional Memberships/ Areas of Legal Expertise
- In continuous private practice, as a solicitor in NSW, since 1976.
- In continuous private practice, as a solicitor, in Queensland, since 1988.
- Member number 19 of QL [formally known as "quality in law --Qil"].
- B.A., Macquarie University, 1971.
- B.A. [Hons.], Macquarie University, 1973.
- Bachelor of laws, UNSW, 1976.
- Specialist accreditation, family law, NSW, mid-90s.
- Collaborative law practitioner (2011).
- Law society of NSW, 1976 to the present.
- Law society of Queensland, 1988 to the present.
- Family law section, Law Council Australia, from about 1988.
- St. James ethics Centre Sydney.
- Past member Locus buddy support group, until 2006.
- Past member Lawcover buddy support group until 2006.
- Past director of Far North Coast law society [NSW].
- Member of Queensland collaborative law Inc.
Areas of Legal Expertise
- Family law from 1976, continuously. The last 10 years or so, as accredited specialist in family law.
- Wills & Estates; PAs & Guardianships and trust estate management.
- Property law, especially in NSW but also in Queensland.
- Past experience in professional indemnity law, relating to the legal profession.
- Traffic & criminal law.
- Mediation. In its application to civil matters, as well as family law.